Ads space

AD BANNER

Trending Now

Students, teachers relay gory tales of bloodbath in Yobe

Running away from the school assembly ground with his white uniform stained with blood and bits of flesh, a traumatised student of Government Comprehensive Senior Science Secondary School, Potiskum

Yobe State, who survived a suicide bomb attack that claimed the lives of 47 of his colleagues with 79 others injured, yesterday, recounted his experience. The incident was considered one of the worst attacks on schools.

Yobe State Governor, Ibrahim Gaidam, in his immediate reaction challenged President Goodluck Jonathan to explain why more people in the state were being killed by insurgents under a state of emergency declared by him.

The explosion was said to have ripped through an all-boys school in Potiskum just as students gathered for morning assembly before classes began, causing panic and chaos.

The massacre came a day after the release of a new Boko Haram video in which the Islamist group’s leader, Abubakar Shekau, again rejected Nigerian government claims of a ceasefire and peace talks.

Students at the school were waiting to hear the principal’s daily address when the explosion happened at 7:50 am. Several witnesses described the blast as “thunderous”, leaving the assembly ground littered with abandoned footwear, books, bags and body parts.
Police Public Relations Officer, Emmanuel Ojukwu said: “There was an explosion after a suicide bomber detonated a bomb. We have 47 dead and 79 injured.” He added that Boko Haram was believed to be responsible.

One of the surviving students, Adamu Abdullahi said those at the centre of the blast near the principal’s office were flung in all directions and others were knocked off their feet. Recounting his experience to AFP, he said: “I found myself under the weight of another student, who fell over me. I’m certain he was dead. I was dazed and disorientated for a moment. When I realised what had happened, I managed to push the body on top of me and started running like everyone else. It was confusion all over. Everybody was hysterical. I saw many people on the ground. Human flesh and blood were splattered all over the place. I ran out of the school and went home. When my father saw me he was terrified. I didn’t realise my white school uniform was stained with human blood and bits of flesh.”

No comments